Events and more...


See Coming Up tab at the top of the page for updates



Thursday 3 April 2014

30/30 - Day 3

Today's NaPoWriMo prompt was to write a "charm" poem (you know, those things that ward against evil). It has to have a simple rhyme scheme/ recipe quality. I haven't deliberately used end rhyme in a poem for a really long time. I've found this difficult! And I'm now on my way to Stand Up! And Slam (and I really need to practice a little for my show on Sunday) so I won't be tempted to work on this one any more till I've got through all of this month's work.

Anyway, I've just written a charm against ignorance...


Two pinches of sodium chloride, evenly spread
Over the ashes of what yesterday’s headlines said
Another pinch to filter down strong opinion
(Failing that, a sizeable sheet of aluminium
To boost the signal beyond the isolating mist
That threatens to block the channel in which we exist)
Insert a liberal dose into the ear canal
Apply some earth (a suggestion of something banal)
Allow time for ear to stretch over the mouth and throat
So the naked tongue no longer leaves without its coat.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment